Find that recipe!

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Throwback time!

Okay, you guys. Who else grew up on Arthur from PBS? Remember that episode called "D.W. the Picky Eater"?

Well, skip to 2:45 and stop at 4:13.



"I LOVE SPINACH! Everybody knows THAT."

Know what, D.W.? So do I! And that's why...

Tonight's meal consisted of...
LOTS AND LOTS OF SPINACH!
aka, my mom's famous Spinach Soufflé.

*Recipes and/or sites that we used will be at the end of the meal's post.*

And I do mean famous. Check it out:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/64807_435804992129_500602129_5700427_3477554_n.jpg

That was at Goucher College.

Dinner was just mom and me tonight, so we made three small soufflés. Because unlike the reformed D.W., my siblings do not like spinach.

Beware the Spinach Monster!!!

We used up all the butter sticks in the house with all the baking we've been doing, so we used tub butter instead. HERE'S A TRICK!

To measure tub butter, use a liquid measuring cup. Let's say we need 1/4 cup of butter. Fill the measuring cup to the 1 3/4-cup mark with VERY COLD water. (Warm water will make the butter melt.) Then spoon the tub butter into the measuring cup until the water hits the 2-cup mark. Hurray for water displacement! Hurray for science!

We made three small soufflés - two small soufflés equals the recipe's one big one. We simply divided the recipe in half and made it three times.

We used small (about 5" x 8") aluminum pans. If you use these, melt the butter in the pans in the oven ('cause the microwave would make them esPLODE!).

I love the colors.

My mom is real funny. We were scooping, measuring, and mixing, and I randomly said, "I wonder why it's called cottage cheese."

Mom goes, "Maybe because it's been cottaged." Pause. "Ha. Ha ha. Ha."

I said, "I don't get it."

She said, "Me neither."

And then I laughed my butt off.

We were done prepping in less than 15 minutes. So easy.

Boom boom boom. Done.

They went in the oven, and we enjoyed some bread and butter while they cooked. Also, I started working on this blog post. :)

And cooked:

Have you ever seen anything more enticing?

...Did I mention this was my favorite food?

As for the plate picture...

This is my second helping.

I was so excited to eat it that I forgot to take the picture. Sorry. Hehe.

Happy fooding,
Sarah

---
Recipes and Sites
Thank you to FoodGawker for helping us find recipes!
(Except not today, because it came from my mama.)

Sarah's Mom's Spinach Soufflé


Ingredients:1 stick margarine
2 ten-ounce boxes frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
16 oz 
cottage cheese
6 oz 
shredded cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups if measuring)
4 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Put stick of margarine in 9 x 13 pan, place in oven to melt, which greases the pan.
In large bowl, thoroughly mix all other ingredients.

Cook 30 minutes - covered.
Cook 15-30 minutes - uncovered.



WARNING - Food will be hot and delicious. Which is a dangerous combination if the deliciousness causes you to ignore the hotness. Be careful of burning your tongue!

No comments:

Post a Comment